On 30 May 2015, the 200 year anniversary of  the wreck of the Arniston was commemorated by a ceremony. A wreath laying ceremony , amongst other activities,was held  at the monument about 4 km north east of the town near the wreck on the beach. The British High Commissioner laid a wreath at the monument and the Bishop of False Bay conducted the service during which a Caledonian pipe band played on the dunes.

The Arniston was built on the Thames in 1794 and was a British East Indiaman of 1 498 tons. It completed 8 successful voyages between Indian and China from November 1794 to June 1813. During 1813 or 1814 the ship was called to serve as troop transport between England, India and Sri Lanka for the Royal Navy.

The Arniston began its last journey in April 1815 from Pont de Galle in Sri Lanka, then Ceylon, with a fleet of ships. Aboard were troops from the British campaigns in Kandia and Ghurka. There were a total of 378 people on board, including 14 women and 25 children.

On 26 March the Arniston separated from the rest of the fleet as a result of blown out sails. The ship was wrecked near Cape Agulhas on 30 April as a result of navigational mistakes and strong winds. Only 6 people survived the tragedy.

The African Maritime Museum and the National Monuments Council (NMC) have undertaken a survey and recording of a wooden wreck, believed to be the Arniston. This site is the first to fall under the National Monuments Council Act for shipwrecks.

About The Author

HOA Exco Chairman

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.